Friday, June 3, 2016

Dong Gun Lee / Assignment 2 / Friday 1-2 Class

https://youtu.be/s1noMEVtVgQ 

 

Speaking Feedback
Date : 2016/06/03 (YY/MM/DD)
Speaker: Dong Gun Lee
Evaluator: Dong Gun Lee
Title : Run for your life


1. What strong points does the speaker have? 


I believe that my strong points were eye-contacts, gestures, voice, and pronunciation. I tried to make every eye-contact with the audiences, including the audience who took the video. I didn't bring my speech to the podium so that I could make eye-contacts throughout my whole speech. The gestures I have made during my speech were adequate enough. I tried to make big and powerful gestures so that I could catch the audiences' attention. Although some gestures seemed inappropriate, the overall gestures were appropriate. In addition, my voice was loud and clear enough for all the audiences to listen. I had a creaking sound at the end of my speech where I said, "~ carried out for so long", which kind of made my intonation awkward. Besides the last part, my voice and pronunciation was clear to deliver my speech effectively.


2. How well did the audience get to know the speech subject? 

 

Many would have heard about the festival 'running of the bulls.' However, I certainly believe that the details I presented were quite new and unique, starting from which festival running of the bulls takes place as a daily event to the history and process of the running of the bulls. The information was detailed and specific and it allowed the audiences to have an opportunity to know more about the festival event.


3. Did the speech reflect adequate preparation? 

 

Yes. I can assent with confidence that I did my best to deliver an impressive speech. At first, I wrote a speech regarding 'Internship', through adequate preparation of surveying more than sixty HUFS students and making more than twenty pages of PPT slides. However, I thought it would be better to give an informative speech based on Unit 4. Then, I wrote a speech about the hidden facts of South Korea, ordering from A-Z in an alphabetical order. However, at the last moment, I switched my topic from the A-Z speech to the running of the bulls. I thought that running of the bulls would be a topic that could convey more details and information as well as include the process of the event. I worked really hard to make the best out of it. I searched many reliable resources to include, including the official Spanish festival website.



4. Did the speaker talk clearly and audibly?
 

As I previously said, I tried to be as clear as possible so that people could hear my speech.

My voice started to soar during my speech, because I delivered a speech in a very big classroom at the social science building 206.


5. Did the speech have a definite opening, body, and conclusion? 

I first started my speech with the phrase, "Run for your life." I tried to catch many people's attention through the phrase and I actually succeeded. I saw some people who were smiling or eager to know what is next. I also previewed what I was going to explain during my speech. Then, I had three body paragraphs, the first being the brief explanation of the eight-day festival of San Fermin, the second being the overall information about the running of the bulls, and last the specific process of the running of the bulls. Lastly, I had a conclusion of how some critics are strongly against the event, but is undeniable that the event has a long history and sort of reviewed my speech. I also ended my speech with my first part of my speech, "Run for your life."


6. Please comment on the speaker's use of notes/eye contact. 

 

I didn't use my notes, because I thought if I had notecards, I would continuously be looking at them during my speech. So, I tried to memorize my speech, as well as adding some impromptu sentences to look more natural. And as I've previously mentioned, I made eye-contacts with every person.



7. What could the speaker have done differently that would have improved the speech? 

 

I could have tried to be more relaxed and calm. There were some parts where I accidently made mistakes, such as 'animal rights activists', where I should have said 'animal rights activists' but, first said 'animal activists' though I corrected my mistake right away. Another mistake was 'northeastern', but I was confused with 'southeastern' and made a mistake. However, it was more of a subtle issue. Also, I could have sounded more relaxing if I were to lower down my voice. I was speaking too loud and was too harsh, later leading myself to sound a bit awkward when I said, "carried out for so long~." Lastly, I could have used fewer gestures, as some of my gestures seemed inadequate. It didn't bother the entire speech, but to improve my speech, I could have done better.



8. What did you like about the presentation?
 
    

I think the PPT slides made it easier for the audiences to understand the festival event. The pictures and summarized wordings made the speech easy to follow. I also liked how I looked more confident than my previous speech, though I was nervous, and accomplished my task of faking myself to look confident. It was also a presentation to look back at what I did wrong and what improvements were to be made.

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Speaking Feedback
    Date : June 18th
    Speaker: Dong Gun Lee
    Evaluator: Euiyeon Kim
    Title : Run for your Life

    1. What strong points does the speaker have?
    : His presentation was very well prepared. He used eye-catching visuals and a speech that was thoughtfully scripted. It was evident that he had practiced many times for this presentation. Also, his dramatic body language and excellent intonation and delivery was very effective in keeping the audience attentive.

    2. How well did the audience get to know the speech subject?
    : The audience could get to know the speech subject well, because the presentation provided a thorough description about the Running of the Bulls event. The presentation was very organized, and thus quite easy to follow. I myself had never heard of this festival before this presentation, but now I can describe it in detail. It was a very informative speech.

    3. Did the speech reflect adequate preparation?
    : The presentation seemed to be prepared quite well, as mentioned above in point 1. It seemed like he put a lot of time and effort into making a perfect speech, and it was reflected in the great presentation.

    4. Did the speaker talk clearly and audibly?
    : Yes, in fact it was one of the strongest points of the presentation. His pronunciation was very clear and his intonation helped the audience follow the speech easily.

    5. Did the speech have a definite opening, body, and conclusion?
    : Yes. He briefly introduced the festival in the opening, went into details to describe the whole process in the body, and focused on the significance of the festival and issues concerning the event.

    6. Please comment on the speaker’s use of notes/eye contact.
    : It was quite impressive that he did not use notes but relied on solely his memory. This enabled him to focus his eyes on the audience at all times.

    7. What could the speaker have done differently that would have improved the speech?
    : Honestly his speech was flawless, but if I had to nitpick.... it would have been better if he had made the ending more smooth. The ending quote at the end made a nice reminder of the opening, but it seemed a bit forced.

    8. What did you like about the presentation?
    : Great preparation, excellent intonation, big, eyecatching body language, continuous eye contact, great choice of topic... the presentation was great in every way. I personally liked the opening phrase, 'run for your life', when the speaker talked about how his friend says this every time they cross the street and linked it to the topic of the presentation. Great presentation!

    ReplyDelete